A quick ‘Google’ suggests that I’m far from being the only person wondering how to stop food cravings in the evening.
I can be really ‘good’ all day, and restrict myself to healthy eating in moderate portions – then bam! As soon as evening falls, I get the night time munchies.
Often it’s because I’m feeling more stressed at the end of the day – maybe because I haven’t achieved everything I planned to do. One approach I have seen suggested is to reduce stress. But, to be honest, “willing my stress away” hasn’t worked so far.
So here are some more easily achievable ideas.
How to Stop Food Cravings in the Evening
- Go to bed when you start craving something to eat!
- Have a large drink of water – often your body mistakes thirst for hunger.
- Brush your teeth ready for bed, even if you don’t actually go to bed.
- Record all those night-time snacks in a food diary to shame yourself!
- Don’t even buy goodies you know you might crave.
- Instead keep healthy snacks, such as carrot sticks, handy in the house.
- Stick a particularly unflattering picture of yourself on the fridge door.
- Take up a hobby that occupies your hands – quilting, knitting, sewing.
- Ring a friend for a long chat – you can’t really chomp down their ear!
- Improve the alkaline balance of your diet by including protein rich plants. such as: lentils, chickpeas, adzuki beans, lima beans, raw almonds and cashews, and a superfood powder such as Soul from HB Naturals.
What is a Superfood?
A Superfood packs a high dose of antioxidant vitamins and minerals into a small portion. They may be actual foods, such as: Nuts, seeds, berries, garlic, dark leafy greens and eggs.
I just love nuts – but I’d probably consume more calories snacking on nuts than on my usual small chocolate bar treat.
Alternatively you may find it easier to consume your superfoods in a special powder formulation that includes many, many other ingredients – such as Chlorella, turmeric, organic wheatgrass, barley, spirulina etc… for a full list of ingredients see the SOUL product page.
No juicing, no blending, no clean-up, yet the full goodness of organic superfood products!
A superfood can help improve…..
The pH Balance of Your Body
Roughly speaking your body’s pH level is an indication of whether your body is too acid or too alkaline. A normal blood pH level is 7.40 on a scale of 0 (acidic) to 14 (alkaline), but this can vary slightly in either direction (say in the range 7.35 to 7.45). If your body is too far out of balance, inflammation can develop, and inflammation is linked to diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol – and obesity.
So for good health it’s essential to keep your body’s pH level as close to that 7.4 as possible.
Incidentally, in the context of your body’s pH level, when we talk about food being acidic it’s nothing to do with the taste. So, confusingly lemon juice, which outside the body is acidic, once fully digested is alkaline.
Sugar and artificial sweeteners, high in many of the foods we crave, are acidic, so they tip the body away from a healthy pH balance. Sugar is also highly addictive – the more we have the more we crave, and so the vicious cycle goes on, with inflammation and food cravings increasing.
SOUL is packed with alkalizing super-foods to support your body’s detoxification through with herbs that support the liver and kidneys. This is your first step to controlling inflammation.
Often the first things customers notice when they take SOUL are increased energy and fewer food cravings.
When I Took SOUL…
There are so many easy ways to use Soul superfood powder: sprinkle on my favorite yoghurt, cereal, add to milk or juice. It’s simple to use: no-fuss, no juicing or blending and no cleaning up afterwards.
As to my results… lack of energy isn’t a problem for me, but happily my night-time cravings have massively reduced and most nights I have reached bed-time without me succumbing to my usual night-time cravings.