Every Friday, my husband and I call my mother in law and catch up on the busy week. She describes her week and we talk about her kids, our kids, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, we talk about it all. We’ve established this way of communication after Covid spread in Texas and we can’t wait for it all to end so that we can spend more time with her. When she talks about her hearth, she usually explains how she can’t sleep. She’s had restless leg syndrome for quite some time, at least 5 years.
She expresses her symptoms and how she’s up all night rubbing her legs and doesn’t get enough sleep. By the time she finally falls to sleep it’s time to wake up and she is too exhausted to function.
“Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a condition that causes an uncontrollable urge to move your legs, usually because of an uncomfortable sensation. It typically happens in the evening or nighttime hours when you’re sitting or lying down.” (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/restless-legs-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20377168)
Restless leg syndrome is more common in woman and symptoms can range from mild to severe. “While the cause of RLS is unknown, researchers have uncovered a link to low levels of iron or dopamine in the brain. Genetics may be a factor.” (https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5-ways-you-can-conquer-restless-legs-at-night-2/) Certain medications may provoke RLS symptoms as well as the use of alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine. Low iron is noticed in patients with Restless Leg Syndrome.
Symptoms for Restless Leg Syndrome Include:
- Nighttime leg twitching
- Irresistible urge to move legs
- Aching legs
- Throbbing legs
- Painful sensations in legs
Here are a few ways you can treat Restless Leg Syndrome Naturally.
- Taking a warm bath/shower before bed can relax the muscles.
- Moderate exercise, about 3 times a week, helps manage RLS.
- Avoid caffeine like coffee, tea, and soft drinks can help with RLS.
- Iron beStrong by HB Naturals is an iron supplement that is placed under the tongue and will improve Iron levels.(https://my.hbnaturals.com/HBN/member/store/product_detail.asp?productid=IronbeStrong)
- Rubbing Sleep Magnesium Lotion on the thighs of legs relaxes muscles and is healthy for both muscles and bones.(https://my.hbnaturals.com/HBN/member/store/product_detail.asp?productid=Sleep)
- Having a weighted blanket at night will help with the urge of moving your legs.
We’ve gone over all of these natural remedies with my mother in law and she is starting to incorporate them in her daily routine. She has already noticed a difference and has reported back that she has been getting more rest at night which is leading to better day.
If you or someone you know suffers from Restless Leg Syndrome, I encourage you to try these remedies.
If you would like to become a HB Natural distributor, please follow the link: